Remodel of the Month
1970's Ranch Gets a Bright & Modern Renovation
This month we feature a whole-home renovation. The homeowners wanted to transform their 1970s ranch-style home's outdated floorplan in which each room in the house was completely separated, with small windows on the back of the house, and cumbersome access to their waterfront backyard.
PortSide Builders totally redesigned the space by removing the walls between the kitchen, dining room, and living room and raising the ceiling to create a modern, bright, open design that takes advantage of the natural light and beautiful views of their lakefront property.
Details of This Remodel Project:
- Removed walls between living room, dining room, and kitchen, removed nearly all flooring on the first floor, removed all doors, windows, and cabinets in kitchen, laundry room, and family room
- Removed the ceiling at kitchen, living room, and foyer
- Framed new walls for the laundry room
- Framed cathedral ceiling
- Luxury Vinyl Plank flooring installed throughout first floor
- Replaced all interior doors with six-panel maple wood doors
- Updates to the kitchen include custom maple cabinetry with smart storage solutions, undermount stainless steel sink, island in contrasting dark-wood stain, quartz countertops on all, and ceramic tile backsplash.
- Wall between the kitchen and living room was removed and the ceiling was raised to create an open-concept great room. Installed large Pella windows, Therma Tru door with sidelights, and custom-built desk and lower cabinetry (not in photo).
- Doorway in the back hallway between the family room and kitchen was opened up creating much better flow between rooms. Installed Pella windows in the family room and two side-by-side, six-foot wide Pella 250 patio doors, allowing for much more natural light and improving access to the new deck.
- New 30'x12' deck off the back of the house improves the enjoyment of their outdoor space and enhances indoor and outdoor living.
"Remodeling requires many decisions. In addition to helping us at every step of the way to make good selections, PortSide accommodated us throughout the entire project. They made great efforts to keep things clean and respect our living needs. The employees were skilled, courteous and always willing to answer questions. The project manager was the best. He kept us informed of what was happening, what the schedule was and he returned phone calls quickly.
We highly recommend PortSide and will always turn to them when we need work done on our house."
Looking for more remodeling ideas and home design inspiration?
Sign up for our Remodel of the Month Newsletter, direct to your inbox every month.